Performance Max is a new type of campaign available on Google Ads. This campaign allows the advertiser to show one campaign on all of Google’s channels: Search, Display, YouTube, Maps, Gmail, and Discover. By using all its channels, Google will show more ads to potential customers who are more likely to buy your product.
1. What Are the Advantages of Performance Max Campaigns?
- Better performance: Google will optimize performance in real-time and across channels using Smart Bidding based on your specified conversion goals.
- Reach new audiences: By using 6 different channels, you reach a large audience.
- Simplify campaign creation & management: Creating a campaign is really fast and easy. With one campaign, your ads are shown on 6 channels. Google optimizes your campaign to reach your objectives so you don’t have to.
2. How to Create a Performance Max Campaign
Creating a performance max campaign is quick and simple.
Click on “create a new campaign,” choose your objective, and your conversion objectives. Select the “Performance Max” campaign type and enter the name of your campaign.
Choose the daily budget and your goal, conversions or conversion value, and then add a target cost per action (if desired).
Choose the geographical targeting, the language, and the destination URL.
You can then start creating the ads by adding all the elements requested by Google. At the bottom of the page, add your audience signals.
You can target these items:
- Customized segments (by keyword list / by websites visited / by application visited)
- People who have already interacted with your website
- Areas of interest and/or demographics
3. Our Opinion on Performance Max
- You should utilize Performance Max in addition to your search campaign because the diversity of channels will allow you to reach a new audience, but Performance Max in no way replaces the accuracy and relevance of a search campaign.
- You will need to be patient in order for your campaign to perform well. Google will need a lot of data to really be able to find the ideal formats, channels, and audience!
- Campaign data is very opaque. It is difficult to know where and how your budget is spent – you have to trust Google!
Google will show your ads beyond the audience signals you select. The most detailed report you can access is the placement report. This report doesn’t show which placements got clicks, nor which ad formats were used, so the interest is quite limited.
- You can’t exclude keywords, so you risk appearing on your brand name and competitors’ names.
- Banners are responsive displays created from elements you provide; you can’t upload HTML banners.
If you don’t have video support, Google will create a video from your images and the result may not be very qualitative.
4. Adplorer & Performance Max Campaigns
Adplorer continues to adapt to all the new features of Google Ads to support its customers as best as possible. You can follow the performance of your Performance Max campaigns on Adplorer, start and stop the campaign, and manage the daily budget.
Performance Max is easy to set up and allows you to be visible on all of Google’s channels. Google will optimize the results of your campaigns thanks to the following levers: bids, ad format, channel, and audiences. While you should see your conversions increase over time, you lose complete control of your campaign. There is little or no data on placements, keywords, and channels, so you have to trust Google completely. Since Performance Max campaigns are so easy to create, they are a helpful option for those who have no time to devote to Google Ads. If controlling your budget and understanding how it is spent is your primary goal, classic campaigns remain the best option.
Do you have any questions? Do you want to know more? Please contact us!